Follow Us:  

 GTDC reservations: 0832-2438866 / 2438002     Tourism Helpline : 1364

Vasco City

Vasco Da Gama, known by some as the ‘Connectivity Capital of Goa’, stretches peacefully on the edge of Mormugao Taluka, blissfully laying its feet into the Arabian Sea.   

Did you know that Mormugao was the initial capital of the Portuguese, from 1670 to 1684, formerly a part of Salcete, and eventually constituted into eleventh district of Goa, in 1917, as the Concelho de Murmugao.

Damodar Temple

The Vasco Saptah of the Lord Shri Damodar is the hallmark for Vasco. It is celebrated every year during the ‘Shravan’ month, the day after ‘nagpanchami’. It is said that the shrine was dedicated to Sri Damodar almost a century ago by installing a blessed coconut from the main Shri Damodar temple at Zambaulim.

It was originally placed in the Mata Secondary High School in Baina but was later shifted to the Joshi Family House on the Swatantra Path.

According to the legend, in 1896-98, around August, or the shravan month, Vasco was attacked by a deadly epidemic that claimed the lives of many. The people then vowed to carry out a ‘saptah’, 7-day round the clock singing of ‘bhajans’, or hymns, to ward off the ill-fate.

The diseases were averted, thankfully, perhaps as a result of the prayers.

Currently, the singing goes on for 24 hours, while the festivities go on for 7 days.

Railway Station

Developed after 165 years of Portuguese rule, on 30 October 1882, on the birthday of the Portuguese King Dom Luis, the Governor General of Portuguese India, connected the Portuguese territory of Goa with Hubli, the then British India.

There used to be a special train from Vasco to the Mormugao harbour, serving the dock labourers. Hence it got its name coolianchi gaddi.

Clock Tower and the Old Market

The Clock Tower in the middle of the city was built in 1938 with four faces. It was made using jaggery, mixed with other substances like limestone, and used roman numerals that was symbolic for the Portuguese. There is a metal bell inside that rings every hour. The reconstructed bell uses a wooden hammer, and has to be wound once every week. 


The market, known as Mercado Municipal, was an open ground, with areas reserved for vegetables and other goods.


The Mormugao Port, has Asia’s first mechanical ore handling plant, built in 1959.

Fact: The Mormugao fort was created in 1624. The natural harbour being elevated to a modern port, from 1882. The only port large enough to harbour all vessels.

It had 53 guns, and later in 1849, a company of hundred garrisons offered military protection.

New Fish Market

Vasco’s first cinema hall, ‘Cine Vasco’ was built in 1938 and was established by the Costa family from Margao, and then the ownership was transferred to the Salgaoncars. It has now been closed for quite a while.  

There was also a casino, founded in 1921, had libraries, games, dances, concerts, and even lawn tennis was played.